British skincare brand ELEMIS and Xampla, creator of natural materials brand Morro, have announced a collaboration to develop plastic-free biodegradable sample sachets.
The game-changing innovation aims to see left-over plant waste from ELEMIS product ingredients turned into biofilm, with the long term goal of replacing single-use sachets used to package samples of its skincare products.
Based on Xampla’s proven Morro materials made from plant feedstocks, the companies will utilise their expertise over the next six months to turn ELEMIS’ plant waste into heat sealable films that can replace single use plastics.
Sachets are a popular format for consumers and brands alike, however, there has so far been an unmet demand for plastic free alternatives to traditional multilayer barrier sachets.
The project has been supported by a grant co-funded by Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC), Engineering & Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), and Innovate UK.
Morro natural materials will be extensively tested to demonstrate its market capabilities when used with ELEMIS products.
This new collaboration reflects the growing trend for upcycled ingredients and sustainability in the beauty industry, as consumers increasingly seek out products with minimal environmental impact.
Oriele Frank Co-Founder, Chief Product and Sustainability Officer at ELEMIS
“ELEMIS continues to innovate and investigate new ideas, and partners wherever possible with organisations that can help move the dial on key environmental or social challenges. What we find so exciting about this project with Morro is how utilising waste from left-over plant material can potentially tackle one of our key packaging dilemmas too. This project further reflects our commitment to finding new opportunities to have a positive impact on planet and people throughout our value chain.”
Pete Hutton Chairman, Xampla
“Our collaboration with ELEMIS unlocks significant potential for the cosmetics industry, where waste materials are transformed into innovative solutions to replace plastic sachets. We are proud to have pioneered our breakthrough material using plant feedstocks and we are looking forward to developing this research further with ELEMIS.”
The partnership was facilitated by PlasticFree.com, founded by Sian Sutherland, Co-Founder of A Plastic Planet. Sian Sutherland added: “We are proud to have united two forward-looking British companies that, together, can steer us away from plastic packaging with entirely new materials, created from discarded waste. This is the kind of inventive and collaborative approach that is required to create change in the industry and to facilitate the next generation of packaging.”
- ELEMIS is an innovative and global British skincare brand with over 30 years of expertise.
- ELEMIS are skin wellness experts, committed to healthy skin and body, whilst reducing our impact on the planet.
- ELEMIS are focused on protecting and restoring BIODIVERSITY, making a more positive impact on CLIMATE and empowering our PEOPLE & COMMUNITIES for a better future.
- ELEMIS are proud to be a Certified B Corp
For more information visit: https://uk.elemis.com/
- Morro is Xampla’s first ever consumer brand.
- Xampla is proud to be a Certified B Corp
- Morro sustainable, next-generation materials are natural and biodegradable in the natural environment. They are sustainably sourced, plant-based and can break down safely, quickly and fully without leaving behind any harmful pollutants.
- Morro materials can be used to eliminate the most polluting plastics and, as a natural material, do things that plastic never could.
- Backed by 15 years of research at the University of Cambridge, these groundbreaking materials make it simple for consumers and brand to make the right choice for the planet.
- Launched in January 2023, PlasticFree is the world’s first materials and system change solution platform built by creatives for creatives.
- Empowering the 160 million creatives globally, PlasticFree is used to discover alternative materials, connect with makers, learn from real life case studies, and be inspired by system change innovations.
- PlasticFree is powered by A Plastic Planet, a pro-business global solutions organisation with one goal – to ignite and inspire the world to turn off the plastic tap.
For more information: https://www.plasticfree.com/